Thursday, March 8, 2012

KONY : Have you heard yet?

My friend came in today and asked if I'd seen the "Kanye video." 
"No, "I replied, googling Kanye Wests name. Nothing in videos came up, but I did find out he irritated members of the royal family with music and pot smoke while living at a hotel in England.
Later that day, my friend insisted that I watch the Kanye video.
"What? Why? What did he do now?"
"You just have to watch it," was all that he said.


After watching, I did some research. There are a lot of people out there ripping on Invisible Children for how they direct their funds, claiming too much goes to travel and salary costs. No matter what, someones going to have an issue, but I'm ecstatic to see this use of social media and internet! It's great, and gives me hope that someday soon, the majority of people will pull their heads out of their asses and realize we are living in insanity. Change won't happen overnight, but it won't happen at all if we, the common people, the 99%, don't stand up and make it happen! So make your posters, and write to politicians, newspapers, magazines and comment on websites. If all that you can do is spread the word, then you've done plenty. We seem to forget (or choose to ignore) the fact that we are all stuck on Earth with each other. There is no escaping; the planet may be large enough to hide in, but your individual decisions affect other individuals and society as a whole, all over the globe. And it works both ways: someone in say, Australia or Japan, could decide they've had enough of the bullshit on which their country runs and changes the course of events in your life. 
We are specks in the Universe, and globs on the planet, but we ARE NOT insignificant. We affect absolutely everything around us, at every second of every day.
Because I am capable of affecting change, I made up a few posters. Yes, I am a little gung-ho and dive right into things, as my grumbling friend noted while making a poster obligingly. I only put up three this evening, but someone will see them tomorrow, and that feels good. That's all I can do at this point in time, unless I dropped out of high school to make saving the world singe-handedly my new career. Nah, I'd rather get you all to figure it out on your own, using Yoga and Gardening to tap into knowledge of the Universe and Life that you already possess. Until this coming week, when you see a bunch of 'em around my BC island town!

On a positive sidenote, I've finished the PowerPoint presentation for my self-directed independent study. The course/project is called Grow Your Groceries : An Experiment. Here, on complexifusing you'll get to follow my adventures with first time vegetable gardening, and on a condo deck no less!

No comments:

Post a Comment